Every year, Euromonitor compiles a report for the World Travel Market, highlighting the emerging trends in the global travel and tourism industry. The 2012 report forecasts some fascinating trends worldwide.
Smart TV for online booking
The key finding on travel technology is that smart TVs are on the verge of taking off, integrating TV, internet and social media opportunities for travel brands.
Today, about 35% of new TVs are internet-enabled, but that figure will climb to about 74% in 2016, predicts Euromonitor.
The growth is expected to come from:
- consumers wanting to access the internet via their TVs
- TV makers producing value-added products and introducing their own apps
- online buying from smart TVs will become widespread
Among the other expected trends are:
- Americans can visit places previously frowned upon
- Nigeria will be a big tourist destination as a result of the success of the country’s film industry success
- Indians will use low-cost fares to buy gold in the Middle East
- Car brands will be seen in hotel names
- Shopping hotels will be built as part of new malls
- People from the BRICs will make more luxury shopping trips to Europe