KLM has added Apple Pay for Dutch users of its iOs app.
Using Apple Pay, passengers can pay for flight tickets and supplementary products, including hold baggage or seats offering extra legroom.
Passengers have to connect their Maestro debit card (PIN card) to Apple Pay (once only) after which they will be able to authorise payments in the KLM App using a fingerprint (Touch ID) or facial scan (Face ID).The Maestro debit card has to be issued by a bank that cooperates with Apple Pay.
When passengers use a debit card with Apple Pay, the actual card number is not stored on the device, nor on Apple servers. Instead, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element on your device. Each transaction is authorized with a one-time unique dynamic security code.
The KLM App has been downloaded millions of times and currently supports more than 100,000 active users a day.
Apple Pay has been added to the existing functionality of the KLM App that includes up-to-date flight information, booking flights, online check-in and seat reservations:
- Fast and easy check-in
- Book one-way, return and Award tickets
- Add extra check-in baggage, change seat and pre-order an à la carte onboard meal
- Use a scannable boarding pass to get past security and to board the aircraft
- Track flight’s status, boarding details and weather information
- Change to an earlier or later flight the same day (flexible tickets only)
- View all upcoming trips at a glance
- Save travel documents
- Receive push notifications for delays, gate changes and other essential flight information
- View Flying Blue Miles balance and membership level
KLM is the Dutch flag carrier. Its main base is Amsterdam Schiphol. Founded in 1919, KLM is the oldest airline still operating under its original name.
Routes: KLM operates direct flights to 162 destinations across the globe.
Fleet: At the time of writing KLM operates more than 160 aircraft:
- 13 Airbus A330
- 51 Boeing 737
- 11 Boeing 747
- 29 Boeing 777
- 13 Boeing 787
- 17 Embraer 175
- 32 Embraer 190
(Note: KLM does a fine job on klm.com with information about its fleet ans seatplans. The best information we’ve sen from any airline. But even they cannot always be up to date on fleet numbers. Neither can we! So please take these numbers as a good but not exact guide.)
Passengers: 34.1 million passengers in 2018.
N.B. Image credit: KLM