Nashville International Airport (BNA) has introduced CLEAR, the expedited security clearance service.
CLEAR uses biometric identification to identify paid members and help them through the security checkpoint quickly and easily.
The partnership brings a touchless travel experience to BNA passengers by eliminating the need for members to hand travel documents to agents during the security screening.
The Tennessee airport is the the 35th in the US to offer the paid-for CLEAR system. Passengers can use the same easy, touchless biometric system across all 35 airports nationwide.
Passengers don’t get to skip security. CLEAR members are given access to expedited security lanes once their identity is verified or they get to go to the front of the security line.
How it works
Step 1: Passengers register their details and biometrics, pay an annual fee and get a CLEARcard. Passengers have to verify their ID by allowing their fingerprints and iris image to be captured and stored by CLEAR.
Step 2: At the airport, passengers use a CLEAR kiosk to scan their boarding pass and confirm their identity with their fingerprints or iris. The kiosk verifies the passenger is the one registered.
Step 3: A CLEAR representative escorts the passenger to the front of the actual screening line.
CLEAR membership is billed annually and costs $15 a month with discounts available for select rewards programs, including Delta Airlines, United Airlines and American Express. Family Plans are also available for an additional $50 per adult per year. Children under 18 do not need to be added to your Family Plan and can join for free.
How is CLEAR different than TSA PreCheck?
CLEAR and TSA’s PreCheck program are complementary. CLEAR automates the identity check while PreCheck provides convenience during the physical screening process (by allowing passengers to keep their shoes and coat on).
CLEAR is an opt-in membership service that never sells an individual’s information. Personal information is only shared with CLEAR partners when a member chooses to enroll in a jointly offered service, and only with their express permission. The rigorously tested and U.S Department of Homeland Security (DHS) certified CLEAR identification technology relies upon double-encrypted biometric data.
CLEAR is now available at 35 US airports:
- Atlanta – Hartsfield–Jackson (ATL)
- Austin–Bergstrom (AUS)
- Baltimore – Thurgood Marshall(BWI)
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth (BHM)
- Boston Logan (BOS)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Cincinnati (CVG)
- Cleveland Hopkins (CLE)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
- Dallas Love Field (DAL)
- Denver International (DEN)
- Detroit Metro (DTW)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood (FLL)
- Houston – Bush Intercontinental (IAH)
- Houston – Hobby (HOU)
- Las Vegas McCarran International (LAS)
- Los Angeles International (LAX)
- Miami (MIA)
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP)
- Nashville International (BNA)
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International (MSY)
- New York – Kennedy (JFK)
- New York – La Guardia (LGA)
- New York – Westchester (HPN)
- Newark Liberty (EWR)
- Orlando International (MCO)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX)
- Salt Lake City International (SLC)
- San Antonio International (SAT)
- San Francisco International (SFO)
- San Jose – Norman Y. Mineta (SJC)
- Seattle-Tacoma (SEA)
- St. Louis Lambert International (STL)
- Washington – Dulles (IAD)
- Washington – Regan (DCA)
N.B. Image credit: Nashville International Airport