All passengers arriving in Singapore can now use biometric eGates

All foreign passengers arriving in Singapore, regardless of nationality, can now use biometric egates at Changi Airport, without the need for prior enrolment.

By end-2024, arriving Singapore residents and all departing passengers will be able to use biometric immigration clearance at Changi Airport (SIN), Seletar Airport (XSP) and Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore (MBCCS).

Time savings

Singapore’s Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) expects the initiative to reduce immigration clearance time at the passenger halls by about 40%.

600 new ABC egates

To make this work, the ICA has replaced older automated lanes and manual counters with the next generation Automated Border Control egates. About 600 new egates have been installed in Changi Airport, MBCCS and land checkpoints.

By early 2026, 95% of passengers will be able to clear immigration via automated lanes at our checkpoints. The remaining 5% comprise those who are not eligible for the use of a ABC immigration clearance, such as children below the age of six. 

ICA has also enhanced its pre-arrival risk assessment capabilities. Previously, risk assessment of arriving passengers was conducted by ICA officers stationed at counters. Now, in addition, by using pre-arrival data, ICA can also assess passengers’ risk profiles before their arrival. Passengers flagged for security or immigration risks will undergo further assessment by ICA officers.

Singapore leads the world in ABC

It is likely that Singapore is the first in the world to allow all foreign passengers, including first time visitors, to use automated lanes without prior enrolment upon arrival, and to depart without presenting their passports for immigration clearance.


IDEMIA supplies the ABC egates for Singapore.

Paris-based IDEMIA was first awarded the contract for automated gates for immigration clearance at Changi Airport in 2017. 

In September 2023, IDEMIA was awarded the Automated Border Control System (ABC) contract for all passengers entering and exiting the country’s air, land and sea checkpoints, by Singapore’s Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) 

About Seletar Airport (XSP)

Seletar Airport is about 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) northwest from Changi Airport. It mostly serves turbo-prop and smaller-sized private and business jet airlines and aircraft. It is a secondary destination to Singapore Changi.

About Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore (MBCCS)

The Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore (MBCCS) is a state-of-the-art cruise terminal located next to the main attractions in Singapore and the Business District. The MBCCS boasts top-notch facilities and its two-berth facility can accommodate up to 2 mega-ships and 6,800 passengers at any one time.

Internet links

The Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) 

Singapore Changi Airport (SIN)

Seletar Airport (XSP)

Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore (MBCCS)