Qatar Airways (QR) is the latest airline to introduce self print bag tag (called My Q-Tag), a system that allows passengers to print their own baggage tags before arriving at the airport.
My Q-Tag enables passengers to arrive at Hamad International (HIA) and proceed directly to the web check-in bag drop counter, where a customer service representative will process their already labelled baggage.
Currently available to 103 destinations for passengers exiting Doha, the process enables passengers to proceed quickly into departures where they can have more time to relax before boarding their flights.
Akbar al-Baker, Qatar Airways CEO:
“With the capacity to handle 8,700 customers per hour, HIA will provide a seamless, hassle-free experience to our passengers, from check-in to passport control and boarding. Qatar Airways passengers will be thrilled to take advantage of our new My Q-Tag service, along with the comfort and functional design of the new airport, and the exceptional shopping and dining choices it offers.”
How it works
It is more or less the same as other airlines already use. Passengers do the following:
- check-in online, once check-in is complete, a ‘Confirmation Page’ appears
- select ‘More Options’ and ‘Enter baggage details’. Confirm the number of bags to be checked-in and click ‘Print Baggage Pass’
- preview and print the My Q-Tag page
- fold the My Q-Tag using the instructions
- insert the My Q-Tag into the reusable plastic wallet found at the Qatar Airways check-in counter at the departure airport
- attach the My Q-Tag to the bag and take the bag to the ‘Web Check-in Bag Drop’ counter
The HIA Passenger Terminal Complex houses a total of 138 check-in counters across five islands, including 108 counters for Qatar Airways Economy passengers and all other airlines, 16 counters dedicated to Qatar Airways Business Class travellers and 14 luxury, bespoke, seated check-in counters for Qatar Airways First Class passengers.
The new airport is also equipped with 34 self-check-in kiosks to further streamline the process and enable customers to print their own boarding passes.
N.B. Image credit: qatarairways.com