Taiwan is introducing VAT refund kiosks at nine airports and seven seaports in Taiwan on May 1.
Foreign visitors who spend at least NT$2,000 (US$62) in a single day on purchases at an authorized Tax Refund Shopping (TRS) enterprise are eligible to a 5 percent VAT refund within 30 days of the purchase.
The VAT refund machines will become operational at the start of May at:
- Taoyuan International Airport (TPE)
- Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA)
- Kaohsiung International Airport (KHH)
- Hualien (HUN) and Taitung (TTT) in east Taiwan
- Taichung (TXG) in central Taiwan
- Tainan (TNN) and Chiayi (CYI) in south Taiwan
- Magong (MZG) in the offshore Penghu County
Visitors departing by sea will also be able to obtain their VAT refunds from kiosks at Keelung and Port of Taipei in the north, Su’ao and Hualien in the east, Tainan’s Anping Pier in the south, Kinmen County’s Shuitou Pier and Penghu’s Magong Port.
There will be a transaction fee of 14 percent.
N.B. Image credit: tca.gov.tw