Passengers departing Cologne Bonn Airport can now book a specific time slot for the security check.
Queues at security are probably the biggest hassle these days at airports. The new system aims to reduce waiting times with a more targeted control of passenger flows. It will also ensure a better and more consistent utilisation of the security lanes.
The new CGNGateWay service allows passengers to book a security time slot from 72 hours up to 1 hour before departure time.
After booking they receive an email with the details to show at security.
Passengers go to check-in / bagdrop as normal and then go to the central security area in Terminal 1. They go to a separate entrance to security at the booked time (+/- 10 minutes).
The service is free of charge and available online. The airport is also installing booking kiosks in the terminals.
How it works
- Passengers make the booking on the airport website. They enter their flight details, party size and email address and choose a time slot.
- Bookings are possible from 72 hours before departure up to 1 hour before departure.
- Slots are offered at fixed times at quarter-hour intervals.
- The time slots are valid 10 minutes before and after the specified time.
- Passengers receive an email with their slot details
- They show the email at the special entrance at their booked time.
Thilo Schmid, President and CEO of Flughafen Köln/Bonn GmbH:
“The new service gives our passengers the opportunity to organise their trip even better and to schedule a fixed time for their security checks.
“By constantly further developing and digitising processes, we are optimising our procedures with our passengers in mind.”
The system is supplied by German company Via Guide. Based in Arnsberg in central Germany, Via Guide produces public guidance and information systems.
Via Guide recently installed a retractable barrier system at check-in at Hamburg Airport.
Other airports with time slots
A number of airports have introduced or trialled security time slots.
- Munich Airport trials security time slots
- Changi Airport trials security slot time bookings
- Passengers at Berlin Airport can book security time slots
- Amsterdam lets passengers book security time slots
- Aruba Airport introduces timed entrance to terminal
- MIA trials booked TSA screening times
N.B. Featured image credit: Koln/Bonn Airport